Tuesdays, 1-3 pm, January 14 – March 10, 2020
Corte Madera Library, 707 Meadowsweet Drive
Presenter: Beryn Hammil
If you have an Apple computer, iPad, or iPhone, and aren’t sure that you’re getting the most out of it, join “chic geek” Beryn Hammil to help you figure it out. Her classes are the perfect solution to give you the start you need and eventually take you beyond the basics.
All Things Apple is a series of free, drop-in classes for both beginner and intermediate Apple users. In each of these classes you’ll learn how to navigate, customize, and function effectively with your device.
You’ll also learn how to protect yourself from online hackers, how to create safer passwords that are easy to retrieve, how to download and update software and apps, and much more. And each week you’ll learn new “Tips & Tricks” that make using your device or computer easier.
Additionally, each week Beryn will review hot news topics that pertain to online safety, best practices, and relevant products, including software update information. There will also be 15 minutes of “open discussion” so you can ask your burning question about any Apple related topic.
In these classes we’ll discuss each topic as it applies to the iPhone, iPad and Apple computer, so no matter where your interest lies, we’ll cover it. And since the functionality of the iPhone and iPad is almost the same, coming to these classes will benefit you no matter which device you’re using.
All of these are drop-in classes with no pre-requisite or commitment necessary. And, they’re free!
Choose individual classes based on your interests or participate in the entire series; you’re sure to learn something new each week.
Class Dates and Descriptions
Tuesday, January 14th: Telephone and Facetime
- 1 pm: It is called “iPhone,” after all, so let’s learn how to maximize the functions built into the telephone part of this multi-purpose device.
- 2 pm: Learn how to use your device and/or computer to communicate via FaceTime. Learn about other 3rd party telephone apps that let you make and receive calls for free with anyone in the world.
Tuesday, January 21st: Camera & Photos
- 1 pm: First, a quick lesson in how to take a photo with your iPhone and iPad. Learn how to share your photos with friends and family.
- 2 pm: Next, learn how to organize these photos on your computer, iPhone and iPad in the Apple “Photos” app. Learn a few basic editing techniques so your photos look better and a change to it in one device keeps the change in all of them when the devices are synced through iCloud.
Tuesday, January 28th: iCloud for Syncing and Storage, external memory/storage
- 1 pm:Learn how to set up and sync your devices on iCloud so the same information from your Apple apps appears on all your devices and a change on one becomes a change on the others too. iCloud can also be used to back up your iPhone, iPad and computer. Lost your iPhone? Locate it with your computer or another device!
- 2 pm: Learn how to sync your photos so they show up in all your devices with iCloud. Need additional storage for your photos and documents? Learn how to use external memory devices for your computer, iPhone and iPad.
Tuesday, February 4th: Email & Messages
- 1 pm: First, learn how to set up email accounts on all your devices, like iCloud (Apple’s email service), Comcast, GMail or other email providers. Learn how create “mailboxes” and save emails so you stay well organized.
- 2 pm: Learn how Messages differs from email, and how to use it to stay in touch more quickly. Learn how to compose messages, share and save photos, and even share your location for brief, effective communications.
Tuesday, February 11: Notes (one of Beryn’s favorite apps)
- 1 pm: This handy app is so rich with functions, we’ll spend the full two hours reviewing what it’s capable of doing. The Notes app will keep you well organized with information that you want at your fingertips. Learn how to scan documents with it, take and/or import photos and mark them up, and add PDF files and web links. Learn how to organize all your Notes with folders, prioritize them with pins, and share them with other people.
Tuesday, February 18: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Magazines, & Books
This topic is especially useful for people who travel and want to take these items with them for entertainment on long flights, road trips, and in hotels.
- 1 pm Learn where to find media content from the wide variety of what’s available online, including where content is available for free and where it will cost you.
- 2 pm Learn how to retrieve, download and save media content in your iPhone, iPad and computer and how to share some of it with friends and family.
Tuesday, February 25th: Siri, Notifications, Tips & Tricks
- 1 pm: The iPhone, iPad and Mac computer have a wonderful capability in Siri; you can talk to it and enhance your user experience exponentially! Learn what it can do and how to maximize it.
- 2 pm: Notifications is a function within your devices that keeps you up to date on anything that you want. Learn how to it set up and effectively use it in your apps, even 3rd party apps. Learn where to find and learn many Tips & Tricks right within your iPhone and iPad, and even online.
Tuesday, March 3rd: Open Discussion
Open Discussion is an opportunity for you to ask any question about Apple devices, apps, and technology that might not have been addressed in a previous class. But this is also the class that gives me the jitters whenever I see it on the schedule! Why? Because I have no idea what the questions will be… unless…. you email them to me a few days prior to the class. This will give me an opportunity to do some research so I’m sure to give you the best answer possible. Of course, I’ll also do my best to answer some questions “on the fly.” When I do, it’s likely that you’ll learn how to find answers online as that’s where all the answers are.
Tuesday, March 10th: Catch All Topics
This class will give me the opportunity to follow up on anything that might have gone unanswered in the previous week’s Open Discussion class. Additionally, a variety of smaller topics like Voice Mail, Lock Screen images, Notifications, Find My, Widgets, Stacks, Settings, etc., will be addressed.
CLASSES WILL RESUME ON TUESDAY APRIL 21, 2020
Check back in early March for the new class schedule.
For more information, contact Corte Madera Library at 415-924-3515.