Tuesdays from 1-3 pm, October 8 – December 17, 2019
Corte Madera Library, 707 Meadowsweet Drive
Presenter: Beryn Hammil
If you have an Apple computer, iPad, or iPhone, and aren’t sure that you’re getting the most out of it, join “chic geek” Beryn Hammil to help you figure it out. Her classes are the perfect solution to give you the start you need and eventually take you beyond the basics.
All Things Apple is a series of free, drop-in classes for both beginner and intermediate Apple users. In each of these classes you’ll learn how to navigate, customize, and function effectively with your device.
You’ll also learn how to protect yourself from online hackers, how to create safer passwords that are easy to retrieve, how to download and update software and apps, and much more. And each week you’ll learn new “Tips & Tricks” that make using your device or computer easier.
Additionally, each week Beryn will review hot news topics that pertain to online safety, best practices, and relevant products, including software update information. There will also be 15 minutes of “open discussion” so you can ask your burning question about any Apple related topic.
In these classes we’ll discuss each topic as it applies to the iPhone, iPad and Apple computer, so no matter where your interest lies, we’ll cover it. And since the functionality of the iPhone and iPad is almost the same, coming to these classes will benefit you no matter which device you’re using.
All of these are drop-in classes with no pre-requisite or commitment necessary. And, they’re free!
Choose individual classes based on your interests or participate in the entire series; you’re sure to learn something new each week.
Class Dates and Descriptions
Tuesday, October 8th: iPhone and iPad Basics and iOS 13 update information
- 1 pm: Learn how to navigate around your iPhone and/or iPad so you can customize it to suit your needs and make it work better for you. Learn how to find apps for your devices in the App Store and how to create folders for them so you can stay well organized and more efficient.
- 2 pm: Learn how to update the device’s operating system and apps’ software and why it’s important to do this. We’ll review the highlights of the newest Operating System (iOS 13)
Tuesday, October 15th: Mac & MacBook Air Basics and Operating System (OS) update to “Catalina”
- 1 pm:Learn how to update the software and operating systems and why it’s important to do this. Learn some of the new features of the latest OS update, Catalina, and how to customize your computer in “System Preferences” to suit your needs and working style.
- 2 pm: Learn more functions in your computer; how to create and organize folders, how to find anything in them more quickly, and how to create “Tags” so you can prioritize your computer’s content by topic and retrieve it easily.
Tuesday, October 22nd: SAFARI
- 1 pm: Learn how to search the Internet for anything with this application on any of your devices and computer. Learn which search engine gives you the most privacy and least ads.
- 2 pm: Once you’ve learned how to find something online, learn how to create bookmarks and bookmark folders of those sites for easy retrieval later. Add an item to your Safari reading list so you can read it when you’re not online.
Tuesday, October 29th: Email & Messages
- 1 pm: Learn how to compose and format an email, add a group from your Contacts, share photos, events, contacts, and correspond with everyone by using email efficiently and effectively.
- 2 pm: Create custom signatures and stationery so your email stands out. And while you’re learning how to communicate well, learn how Messages, another Apple app, lets you stay in touch, share photos and more.
Tuesday, November 5th: Camera & Photos
- 1 pm:First, a lesson in how to take a photo with your iPhone and iPad. Learn the range of capabilities that your Camera has with all the different functions built into it. Learn about its movie taking capability as well as its Portrait function.
- 2 pm: How toorganize these photos on your computer, iPhone and iPad in the Apple “Photos” app. Learn how to make and organize Albums for all your photographs.
Tuesday, November 12th: Notes (one of Beryn’s favorite apps)
- 1 pm: This handy app is so rich with functions we’ll spend the full two hours reviewing what it’s capable of doing. The Notes app will keep you well organized with information that you want at your fingertips. Learn how to scan documents with it, take and/or import photos and mark them up, and add PDF files and web links. Learn how to organize all your Notes with folders, prioritize them with pins, and share them with other people. Learn how to sync your Notes to all your devices so a change you make to a Note on one device is automatically updated on all your devices.
Tuesday, November 19th: Calendar
- 1 pm: When your calendar is up to date you’ll know when you need to be where. Learn how to not only create an event, but how to set up categories of events that let you keep track of other family members, or color-code calendars for specific types of events. Create alerts to poke you when necessary so you won’t be late.
- 2 pm: Once you’ve set up a date, learn how to find your way to it using the Apple Maps function that’s linked to the calendar app. Then learn how to invite someone else to that event.
Tuesday, November 26th: Maps & Travel
- 1 pm: When you learn how to use Apple’s Maps app you’ll know how to navigate your way around any city anywhere. Next, because there are many third party travel apps out there, learn which are the best.
- 2 pm: Learn more about the travel apps: how to find what’s recommended as the best things to see and do in another city and find the right hotels and restaurants based on your criteria.
Tuesday, December 3rd: Contacts
- 1 pm: Learn how to create new contacts, add multiple phone numbers and addresses to each, as well as how to add a birthday and be reminded about it.
- 2 pm: Have a book club, travel group, or other group that you want to stay in touch with regularly? Learn how to set up and use “Groups” in your Contacts app.
Tuesday, December 10th: iCloud for Syncing and Storage, external memory, Cloud storage
- 1 pm: Learn how to set up and sync your devices on iCloud so the same information appears on all your devices and a change on one becomes a change on the others. iCloud can also be used to back up your iPhone, iPad and computer. Lost your iPhone? Locate it with your computer or another device! Can’t find it? Learn how to wipe it of all its content from afar so your information stays safe.
- 2 pm: Learn about iCloud Drive, an Apple function that not only backs up, but also lets you view all your computer’s content across all your mobile devices, even if you’re a PC user. Learn how to use external memory devices and cloud storage services for your computer’s extra content.
Tuesday, December 17th: Health Apps & 3rd Party Apps
- 1 pm: Learn the benefits of Apple’s Health App for monitoring and protecting yourself. And, learn how to sync 3rd party health, exercise, and diet related apps. Share your own favorite health related apps with others.
- 2 pm: Get a closeup look at Beryn’s favorite 3rd party apps and why she likes them. News, TV & Radio, Music, Health, Travel, Shopping, and more.
CLASSES WILL RESUME IN JANUARY 2020
Check back in early December for the new class schedule.
For more information, contact Corte Madera Library at 415-924-3515.