Tuesdays from 1-3 pm, July 9 – September 10, 2019
Corte Madera Library, 707 Meadowsweet Drive
Presenter: Beryn Hammil
If you have an Apple computer, iPad, or iPhone, and aren’t sure that you’re getting the most out of it, join “chic geek” Beryn Hammil to help you figure it out. Her classes are the perfect solution to give you the start you need and eventually take you beyond the basics.
All Things Apple is a series of free, drop-in classes for both beginner and intermediate Apple users. In each of these classes you’ll learn how to navigate, customize, and function effectively with your device.
You’ll also learn how to protect yourself from online hackers, how to create safer passwords that are easy to retrieve, how to download and update software and apps, and much more. And each week you’ll learn new “Tips & Tricks” that make using your device or computer easier.
Additionally, each week Beryn will review hot news topics that pertain to online safety, best practices, and relevant products, including software update information. There will also be 15 minutes of “open discussion” so you can ask your burning question about any Apple related topic.
In these classes we’ll discuss each topic as it applies to the iPhone, iPad and Apple computer, so no matter where your interest lies, we’ll cover it. And since the functionality of the iPhone and iPad is almost the same, coming to these classes will benefit you no matter which device you’re using.
All of these are drop-in classes with no pre-requisite or commitment necessary. And, they’re free!
Choose individual classes based on your interests or participate in the entire series; you’re sure to learn something new each week.
Class Dates and Descriptions
Tuesday, July 9th: iTunes and Podcasts
- 1 pm: Learn how to set up and use iTunes so you can listen to music, and watch movies and TV shows when and where you want. Learn how to import music and videos from your CD library. Learn how to back up your iPhone and iPad on iTunes.
- 2 pm: Podcasts are a wonderful way to be educated, entertained and informed. Learn where to ﬁnd them, how to download them, and subscribe to future podcasts.
Tuesday, July 16th: Notes and Reminders
- 1 pm: These handy apps keep you well organized, but in different ways from each other. Learn how to be creative in Notes using different styles and capabilities and stay organized within the app with folders.
- 2 pm: The Reminders app is great for list makers (you know who you are!). Learn how to create and get a reminder to do something before you leave the house or when you arrive somewhere.
Tuesday, July 23rd: Email & Messages
- 1 pm:Learn how to compose and format an email, add a group from your Contacts, share photos, events, contacts, and correspond with everyone by using email efficiently and effectively in your device and/or computer. Learn how to set up alternative email accounts like Gmail or other email providers on all your devices.
- 2 pm: And while you’re learning how to communicate well, learn how Messages, another Apple app, lets you stay in touch.
Tuesday, July 30: The Telephone Part of the iPhone, and FaceTime
- 1 pm: It is called “iPhone,” after all, so let’s learn how to maximize the functions built into the telephone part of this multi-purpose device. You’ll also learn how to communicate using the iPad and computer.
- 2 pm:Learn how to use your device and/or computer to communicate via FaceTime. This is especially useful when you travel and/or have family and friends in other parts of the country or world.
Tuesday, August 6th: Siri, Notifications, More Tips & Tricks
- 1 pm: The iPhone, iPad and Mac computer have a wonderful capability in Siri; you can talk to it and it will enhance your user experience exponentially! Learn what it can do and how to maximize it.
- 2 pm:Continue this fun topic with all sorts of Tips & Tricks, and how you can learn more tips right within your iPhone and iPad. Learn how to set up and use Notifications.
Tuesday, August 13th: Wallet, Files, Apple TV, Books
- 1 pm: Learn how Apple’s Wallet App can save you time when checking out at a store that uses this technology, when boarding a flight, and saving tickets to events. Apple’s Files app allows you to access documents on your computer even when you’re not near the computer or it’s turned off.
- 2 pm: Apple TV gives you access to movies, music, TV shows, and your photos. Apple’s Books app is a way to read books on your devices that are available to purchase and download from Apple. There are book clubs to join and best sellers to read. Many books are free, including manuals to learn more about your Apple devices and the California Driver’s License test manual.
Tuesday, August 20th: iCloud for Syncing, Storage, and Backing Up Contents; iCloud Drive
- 1 pm: Learn how to set up and sync your devices on iCloud so the same information from your Apple apps appears on all your devices and a change on one becomes a change on the others too.
- 2 pm: Explore more about the benefits of iCloud: it can also be used to back up your iPhone, iPad and computer. Lost your iPhone, computer or iPad? Locate it from another device or erase its contents if it’s gone forever! Learn how you can access all your files with iCloud Drive and Apple’s Files app.
Tuesday, August 27th: Camera & Photos
- 1 pm: Learn how to take a photo with your iPhone and iPad Camera app. Learn what all the little icons in the app mean and how to use them.
- 2 pm: Learn how to sync your photos so they show up in all your devices with iCloud and how to organize and edit these photos Apple “Photos” app.
Tuesday, September 3rd: Organizing Your Documents, Photos, and Apps
- 1 pm: Learn how to organize and retrieve any photo and video in your computer, iPhone and iPad. If you have archived photos, learn how to change the date and location to reflect when and where they were actually taken.
- 2 pm: Learn how to search for any folder, photo, or document and share it as necessary.
Tuesday, September 10th: Open Discussion
For these two hours we will address whatever Apple product related questions you have. This could include Apple TV, the Apple Watch, Air Pods, computer, iPhone and iPad. You will also learn how to ask these types of questions online so you can find the help you need whenever you need it.
CLASSES WILL RESUME ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8th.
Stay tuned for details…
Apple’s operating systems will update during this break.
On October 8th we will review these updates and how to use them.
For more information, contact Corte Madera Library at 415-924-3515.