Consumer Reports is an independent non-profit organization that has been testing products and services for over 80 years. If you are looking for unbiased reviews for a wide variety of consumer products and services, you can search Consumer Reports.
Here’s how to get full text articles from the Consumer Reports magazine through our database.
1. Go to www.marinlibrary.org
2. Click BROWSE
3. From the middle column of the menu that drops down, click on Articles & Online Research
4. Click on Consumer Reports.
5. You will need to login with your library card number. Use the whole number with no spaces between the digits. Don’t have a card or don’t remember your number? Contact Us online or call 415-473-2272 for help!
6. You can now begin your Consumer Reports search. There are two ways to search.
a) If you know which specific issue of the magazine you’d like to look at, you can click the year it was published in the list on the right. If you click on a month, you will see a list of the articles which appeared in that issue.
b) If you prefer to look up all articles about a subject (for example, “washing machines”) you can search within all of Consumer Reports. Click the “Search within this publication” button on the top left of the page (it is circled in red in the illustration above).
7. You will see a search box appear that says JN “Consumer Reports”. This phrase limits your search to just Consumer Reports. Before you enter the product you want to search, type “and”
For example :
JN “Consumer Reports” and washing machines
8. Then hit “Search”. This will show you a list of all the articles related to “washing machines” from within the Consumer Reports publication.
9. You can then click the “HTML Full Text” or “PDF Full Text” to read the article. Enjoy!
Editing and formatting: Ana