Our streaming video service Kanopy* is a great resource for documentaries!
This post highlights several of the documentary producers and distributors with videos available on Kanopy. Check out our Adults at Home series for fun and informative resources on a variety of topics!
The descriptions are quoted from each company’s website. Please note that most of the links to the distributors’ collected content will only work properly if you are already signed into Kanopy.
“A leading resource center for advancing racial justice through its unparalleled collection of films on African American and African life and history,” California Newsreel “has produced and distributed cutting-edge social issue films for activists and educators since 1968.” Kanopy’s California Newsreel Collection features nearly 150 videos.
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Freedom Fighter Bayard Rustin
- Color Adjustment: A History of African American Portrayal on Television
- W.E.B. Du Bois – A Biography in Four Voices
Collective Eye Films is “a non-profit film distribution company started by award-winning filmmakers who value independent artists … Keeping true to the notion that documentary films are powerful tools for change,” the company strives to “unearth stories that make a difference.” Over 100 titles from Collective Eye are available on Kanopy.
- Queen of the Sun: What are the Bees Telling Us?
- Driving with Selvi: The Story of India’s First Female Taxi Driver
- Growing Cities: Examining the Role of Urban Farming in America
The Green Interview is “a series of in-depth conversations with the thinkers, artists and activists whose ideas and work are leading the way to a new era of sustainability.
Its host and executive producer is Silver Donald Cameron, one of Canada’s most versatile and experienced professional authors.” Over 75 Green Interviews are available on Kanopy, exploring aspects of sustainability such as environmental rights and activism, climate change, and green philosophy.
- Jane Goodall: The Animals We Are
- Farley Mowat: Slaughter by Sea and Land
- Vandana Shiva: Against Genetically-Modified Foods
Kanopy includes nearly 150 titles from this “non-profit distributor of Nature, Environment, and Human Ecology Films” that explore topics such as “deforestation, water resources, ocean conservation, sustainable fishing, renewable energies, climate change and other issues that affect humanity in the context of itself and nature.”
- Perfect Compost: A Master Class With Peter Proctor
- Oceans: The Mystery of the Missing Plastic
- Deep Green: Solutions To Stop Global Warming Now
Les Blank was “an internationally renowned, independent filmmaker, whose poetic work offers intimate, idiosyncratic glimpses into the lives, culture, and music of the passionate people at the periphery of American society.” Over 50 titles from the distribution company Les Blank Films, which distributes films by Blank and other filmmakers, are available on Kanopy.
- Chulas Fronteras: acclaimed Norteno musicians of the Texas-Mexican border
- Zydeco: African American Dance Hall Music in Southwest
- Simon Shaheen – Connecting Cultures
Media Education Foundation “produces and distributes documentary films and other educational resources to inspire critical thinking about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.” Kanopy features nearly 170 videos from the Foundation.
- Killing Us Softly: Advertising’s Image of Women
- Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies a People
- White Like Me: Race, Racism & White Privilege in America
New Day Films
New Day Films is “a filmmaker-run distribution company, providing social issue documentaries to educators since 1971.” Kanopy contains over 200 films distributed by New Day.
- My Brooklyn: Unmasking the Takeover of America’s Hippest City
- El Cacao: The Challenge of Fair Trade
- In Whose Honor? American Indian Mascots in Sport
- Burning the Future: Coal in America
- From Flint: Voices of a Poisoned City- Investigating the Michigan Water Crisis
- Straws: The Impact of Plastic Straws on our Environment
- Medicine Woman: The Story of America’s First Native Medical Doctor
- We Breathe Again: The Stories of Four Alaska Native People
- Ohiyesa: The Soul of an Indian – The Life of a Prolific Native Author, Lecturer & Physician
Women Make Movies
The organization Women Make Movies is “the world’s leading distributor of independent films by and about women.” The company distributes films that “amplify historically ignored voices and challenge the mainstream media.” Kanopy includes over 120 titles from the distributor.
- Slaying the Dragon: Media Stereotypes of Asian & Asian American Women
- Defiant Lives: The Rise Of The Disability Rights Movement
- The Feeling of Being Watched
Writing and research: Tom
Editing and formatting: Ana