Many of us are feeling a little cabin fever. Maybe you have had to cancel or delay travel plans. Maybe you never had the privilege of traveling even before COVID-19. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or just dreaming of your first trip, we’ve got you covered. Here we have gathered videos and virtual tours which allow you to see the sights without ever leaving the safety of your home. Travel helps us relate to each other and to our history, and inspires us for the future – things we need now more than ever.
A good place to start?
Good Housekeeping’s Massive List of Museums, Zoos, and Theme Parks Offering Virtual Tours
- Smithsonian Channel’s Aerial America offers over 60 episodes (each about 45 minutes) featuring narrated aerial views of all 50 States.
- The Hidden Worlds of the National Parks, a collaboration of the National Park Service and Google, provides 360-degree videos narrated by park rangers that explore hard-to-reach areas of our National Parks
- See street views from the top of landmarks and buildings around the world at Google Arts & Culture , which also provides virtual tours of over 1,000 museums worldwide
- If you’re interested in seeing what’s happening right now in places all over the world, check out some of the livestreams listed on the websites of Frommers and Condé Nast Traveler
Armchair Travel Through the Library
- Hoopla contains over 200 travel videos, including many from National Geographic.
- In addition to general travel videos, Kanopy also offers videos from the Great Courses series on England, Scotland and Wales, Greece and Turkey, and Medieval Europe.
Historical Travel, PBS Shows, and Culinary Travel
- Don’t miss the newly launched exhibit of historical globes from the British Library
- Enjoy culinary adventures with Marcus Samuelsson, and visit local restaurants on Check, Please! Bay Area.
Written by Tom.
Editing and Formatting: Ana.