Our Popular All Things Apple! Class is Online
Join Beryn Hammil on Zoom and learn how to get the most out of your Apple devices. You’ll discover how to set up each device to be more efficient and effective in all aspects of your life.
- Pre-registration is required for each class.
- Classes are held on Tuesdays at 2 pm and 4 pm
- Invitations to register for class will be emailed each Thursday morning for the following week’s class.
- New students, please email Shereen at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- Each topic is relevant for the Apple iPhone, iPad, and Mac computer.
- Classes start on time! The “doors” open 15 minutes prior to starting.
- When the class capacity of 100 participants is reached, the class will be live streamed on YouTube for registered students.
- At the end of each class participants can stay for a Q&A session.
- A review video of each class will be available on YouTube for students who attended that class.
- Topics for these classes were put together based on requests from students, and while some of these topics have been taught recently, there’s always something new to learn.
- All Things Apple - Distance Learning, a weekly newsletter, arrives on Mondays and includes links to relevant articles, a class registration reminder, personal essay, and a bit of humor.
Let’s ease back into the rhythm of our Zoom classes and also welcome new students with a month of classes on the basics and functionality of all our Apple devices. This will get everyone up to speed and familiar with the terminology and technology. It will also prove useful as we venture into more specifics about various applications and functions later on so everyone will be on the same page.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7th
Because today is Rosh Hashanah, there will be only one class and it will go for 1.5 hours. Those who need to leave early can do so.
2:00 PM – Settings, Control Center & Notifications
Learn the basic settings of each of your devices and what each can do for you. Between these functions, you’ll be able to navigate your devices easily and have a variety of functions at your fingertips. Learn how to access and set up some of these functions so you’re familiar with the process and can explore others on your own.
TUESDAY, SEPT 14th
2:00 PM – iCloud & iCloud Drive
Learn the difference between the two and how to set up and use each of these important functions on all your Apple devices,
4:00 PM – Organizing your devices & the “Files” app
Learn how to:
- create and organize folders,
- add items to those folders,
- tag them with colors for easy sorting and accessing,
- find everything easily, everywhere,
- access the folders and documents in your Apple computer from any mobile device using iCloud Drive and the “Files” app.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st
2:00 PM – Online Security, Passwords & Keychain
Learn how to stay safe online when you apply the “Five Commandments” of online safety.
Learn how to:
- create an unique and easily retrievable password for each of your online accounts,
- use the Keychain function so each password automatically loads in each of your Apple devices next time you need to retrieve one quickly.
4:00 PM – Backing up and storing all your valuable digital contents
Learn how to use Time Machine, external storage devices, and 3rd party offsite storage companies to keep all your documents, photos, movies, and music libraries safe and secure.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28th
2:00 PM until ?--TIPS & TRICKS and OPEN DISCUSSION
There will be only one class, starting at 2:00 PM (Pacific Time), and it will last for however long you want it to last.
There are always little tricks that make using your Apple products easier and niftier. We’ll start this class with a few of them and then move onto answering your questions as an “open discussion.” The contents of this segment of the class will be determined by whatever you want to learn and discuss, so have your questions ready.
Note: Apple’s major software update to iOS 15 and OS 12 (Monterey) for the Mac is "guesstimated" to happen sometime in September, but the exact date is still unknown. If that happens, in early October Beryn will be teaching the new operating systems after she's had a chance to get to up to speed and Apple will have already worked out the initial bugs.