Kanopy is an on-demand streaming film collection with over 30,000 award-winning documentaries, classic and world cinema, and indie films for schools and library members. The extensive selection of meaningful films has been thoughtfully curated to enrich, educate, and entertain.
Make with Kanopy
- Fuel creativity for film junkies, students of film curriculum, or media artists
- Generate ideas and enhance content for school or community projects (with easy-to-use Citation Tool)
- Show a customized playlist incorporated into an oral presentation to classmates
- Personalize a special event for friends, peers, faculty, or family members
- Create a playlist of video clips or a medley of favorite movies for travel enjoyment
About Clips and Playlists
A clip is a shortened excerpt from a video.
A playlist is a set of clips or films collected together into a single URL. Annotations, titles, etc. can be added.
The unique URL for a clip or playlist has an embed code which can be made public or kept private. The URL can be shared using email, social media, or copy/pasted into a website or course management system post. All clips and playlists are saved in the Kanopy user profile. (Note: users need Kanopy access to view the video).
Film catalog sampling
- Movies – Independent Cinema, World Cinema, Classic Cinema, Short Film
- Documentaries – Ethnicity & Identity, Politics & Current Affairs, LGBTQ Stories, Art & Artists, Science, Nature & Technology
- Global Studies & Languages – African Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies
- Social Sciences – Gender Studies, History, Human Rights, Race & Class Studies
- K-12 Lessons – Literature, Math, Science, Visual Arts, History, Earth Science, Life Science, Language
- and more!
- All films are instantly available. Each student can watch a movie at the same time!
- View films on most devices
- Viewer comments and ratings – video reviews, comments to reviews, and ranking 1-5 stars
- My watchlist – save titles for future viewing
- Viewing history – keep track of films viewed in the past
- Clips and Playlists – create a personalized list of videos or segments of videos
- Citation Tool – bibiliography-ready citation (select “More” button under a specific title)
- Sign up for a free account with email address and create a password
- Login in using your MCFL or San Rafael library card number and password. Access is based on residence address
- Check out for 3 days, watch up to 10 movies per month
With the portability of any device, the promise of personal enjoyment, and a variety of ways to enhance class projects, Kanopy has much to offer student viewers. Eliminate the angst of waiting for a movie when an assignment deadline is quickly approaching.