Need help applying for Marin County Rental Assistance?

Rental Assistance Apply-A-Thon

Marin County Renters and Landlords

Do you need help applying for the Marin County Rental Assistance Program?
Come to an in-person registration event either
Wednesday May 19, 2021 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM or
Sunday May 23, 2021 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

The Marin County Rental Assistance Program has an online application available now. Low-income Marin County residents and landlords can apply to receive 80% of unpaid back rent due between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. This application does not ask for any citizenship information and is open to all eligible Marin County renters. Receiving assistance from this program does not affect public charge.

If you need help with the application, please come to one of our in-person events:

    • When: Wednesday May 19, 2021 from 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM and
                  Sunday May 23, 2021 from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
    • Where: Marin County Civic Center Exhibit Hall
                  20 Avenue of the Flags San Rafael, CA 94903
    • Registration is not required. Please bring required documents with you (see the
      bottom of this page for more information).

Staff will be available to assist applicants who do not have access to a computer or smart phone or need additional assistance. We will also have available vaccines, applications for assistance with PG&E and other community resources and a free Taco Truck!

Questions? Please email, or call (415) 473-2223.
Requests for disability accommodations may be made by phoning (415) 473-2223 (Voice), CA Relay 711 or by e-mail at Please do not call the line more than once, as it slows down the process.

Please bring the following documents with you:

1. Copy of your photo ID. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:

      • Current Driver’s License with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories)
      • Non-Driver’s Identification Card with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories)
      • Passport
      • Identification from County of Origin with photograph (non-U.S.)
      • U.S. Permanent Resident Card
      • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (good for 10 years after date of issue)
      • Learner Permit with photograph (from the U.S. or any of its territories)
      • Work Identification with photograph

2. Income Documentation. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:

      • Pay stub(s) (minimum 30 days)
      • Unemployment award letter
      • W-2
      • Bank statement (reflecting salary or reduction in salary)
      • Letter from employer (reflecting income level, decrease in income level or layoff);
      • Form 1040 as filed with IRS
      • Benefits award letter (social security, VA, etc.)
      • Self-declaration statement (can be used if self-employed or if other documents cannot be produced)

3. Proof of Tenancy. You can satisfy this requirement using one (1) of the following:

      • First page of current lease
      • Utility bill showing address
      • Notice of past due rent
      • Eviction notice
      • Self-declaration (if other documents cannot be produced)

More information is available at, opens a new window

We welcome your respectful and on-topic comments and questions in this limited public forum. To find out more, please see Appropriate Use When Posting Content. Community-contributed content represents the views of the user, not those of Marin County Free Library