About MCFL’s Education Equity Initiatives
At Marin County Free Library, we want every child to reach their full potential. Yet, in Marin, thousands of children still face barriers to early childhood education, literacy development, and high school graduation on the basis of race and income.
Building on children’s strength and resilience, the library’s Education Equity Initiatives aim to close these gaps and expand opportunities for low-income students and students of color.
Working closely with families, school districts and community partners, we design inclusive, multilingual programs with high-need communities to:
- Increase Kindergarten Readiness and Third Grade Literacy
- Promote S.T.E.A.M. education and College-Career Readiness
- Engage students, parents, and caregivers in opportunities for self-development.
Focused in Marin City, South Novato and West Marin, our current Initiatives include:
- The Learning Bus mobile preschool and early childhood programs
- High-level support for school libraries: Bayside MLK and Nicasio
- The Marinovation Learning Center at South Novato Library
- After-school literacy programs
- Summer learning intensives
- S.T.E.A.M.-based workforce development for teens (WebStars and XRStars)
- First 5 Marin
- Marin Promise Partnership
- Nicasio School
- Novato Unified School District
- Sausalito-Marin City School District
- Shoreline Unified School District
- XR Libraries/XR Marin