Check out a Conscious Kids book kit.
Books to enjoy and spark conversations about racial equity with our children.
Each Conscious Kids book kit includes a selection of books along with a discussion guide, opens a new window. There are 8 different kits available to check out, each focusing on one of these topics: Arts & Culture, Belonging, Biographies, Celebrating & Centering Kids of Color, Gender Expressions, Immigration, Let’s Talk About Race, and Social Justice.
To check out a kit, either place a hold in the library catalog or ask a staff member at the library. Kits check out for 3 weeks, with up to 2 renewals.
- Raising Race Conscious Children – www.raceconscious.org, opens a new window
- Embrace Race – www.embracerace.org, opens a new window
- Social Justice Books – www.socialjusticebooks.org, opens a new window
- Teaching for Change – www.teachingforchange.org, opens a new window
- Teaching Tolerance – www.tolerance.org, opens a new window
Articles for Further Reading
- Talking Race With Young Children
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/24/716700866/talking-race-with-young-children, opens a new window
- How to Talk to Kids about Race and Racism
https://www.parenttoolkit.com/social-and-emotional-development/advice/social-awareness/how-to-talk-to-kids-about-race-and-racism, opens a new window
- How to Talk to Kids About Race: Books and Resources That Can Help
https://www.readbrightly.com/how-to-talk-to-kids-about-race-books-and-resources-that-can-help/, opens a new window
- Teaching Tolerance Guide: Discussing Race, Racism and Other Difficult Topics with Students [pdf]
http://www.tolerance.org/sites/default/files/general/TT%20Difficult%20Conversations%20web.pdf, opens a new window
- Beyond the Golden Rule: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice [pdf]
http://www.tolerance.org/sites/default/files/general/beyond_golden_rule.pdf, opens a new window
- Talking With Young Children (0-5) About Race
https://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2018/05/talking-with-young-children-0-5-about-race/, opens a new window
- A Family Guide to Talking About Race [pdf]
http://www.understandingrace.org/resources/pdf/family_guide.pdf, opens a new window