Grab your trowel and dig into these gardening resources!
Seasonal and Monthly Checklists
Not sure what you should be doing for your garden, and when? These lists help knowing when to plant, prune or mulch your garden:
- A Year-Round Planting Guide, opens a new window by Debi Tidd, for Marin County Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (MCSTOPPP)
- Marin Master Gardeners' Seasonal Checklist, opens a new window: a month-by-month list of garden care activities to help your garden thrive. Here's the specifics for the Month of June, opens a new window
Gardening Books in Our Collection
For inspiration, try our collection of eBooks! You can learn more about using those services on our blog, and contact us if you need assistance.
(*Restrictions to using Hoopla apply based on your home address.)
- Gardening and garden design books on Hoopla, opens a new window
- Gardening books on Overdrive, opens a new window
- Search our catalog and filter your search to eBooks on the left hand side of the screen. You will find a large number of eBooks from our ENKI eBook collection, which download differently than other eBooks. Read instructions downloading books from ENKI here, opens a new window.
Marin libraries have many gardening books in our collections. Click on each line below to find print books about that subject:
Local Sources of Information
We have a number of Master Gardener groups in the North Bay that offer scientifically based information appropriate to our local climate conditions and assistance with garden planning and common garden problems.
- Marin Master Gardeners , opens a new window
- Napa Master Gardeners, opens a new window
- Sonoma Master Gardeners, opens a new window
The Marin Master Gardeners volunteers are staffing their Help Desk remotely. You can email them at HelpDesk@marinmg.com. Please include a picture of the plant in question to help the volunteers identify the plant and the problem. Also, please be aware there may be some delays in responding to your requests.
More Specialized Topics
- Marin Master Gardeners' Plan a Garden, opens a new window
- Sunset.com also has online offerings that can help you plan your garden, opens a new window.
- Planting in the right climate zone, opens a new window
- Fire-Smart landscaping, opens a new window advice from Marin Master Gardeners
- Fire Safe Marin, opens a new window has resources to help you plan a fire safe garden.
Low Water Use Plants
- Water-wise gardening resources from Bay Area Gardening, opens a new window.
- Marin Water offers gardening resources, opens a new window and a free copy of the book Watershed Approach to Landscaping, opens a new window handbook
- Water Smart Plants, opens a new window from East Bay Municipal Utility District
- From the California Native Plant Society, Calscape:
7990 plants native to California
- California Native Plant Society - Marin Chapter provides examples of native plant gardens, opens a new window
Starting with Seeds
- Starting Tomatoes from Seed, opens a new window from the Napa Master Gardeners
- How to Start Seeds, opens a new window from the Sonoma Master Gardeners
- The SeedSavers organization has advice on starting your garden from seeds, opens a new window
Vegetable Gardening Resources
- Sunset.com edible gardening advice, opens a new window
- Marin Master Gardeners Food Gardening, opens a new window
- Your vegetables will do better if they are planted in the right Marin micro-climate. Find your Marin climate zone, opens a new window
Plant and your spouse plants with you; weed and you weed alone. ~Author Unknown
What is a weed? I have heard it said that there are sixty definitions. For me, a weed is a plant out of place. ~Donald Culross Peattie
- Getting a handle on your weeds, opens a new window from the Marin Master Gardeners
- Having problems with your existing garden? Bugs, funny looking leaves? You can research a variety of garden issues at the UC Davis Integrated Pest Management site, opens a new window
Written by: Linda
Edited and Formatted by: Ana