What is Día?
Día de los niños/Día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), known simply as Día, is a yearly celebration of children, families, and reading that culminates on April 30.
Borrowing from the traditional Mexican holiday "El día de los niños," children’s book author Pat Mora created a new book holiday in the United States in 1996. Día promotes the value of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds, linking families to diverse books, languages and cultures.
MCFL honors Día throughout the month of April with books, storytelling, and events at the library. Find out opportunities to connect children with learning that will nurture their social, emotional, and literacy development:
Celebrate Día de los Niños at Storytime with Little Red Readinghood at these locations:
- Inverness Library - Tuesday, April 4, 1:30pm
- Point Reyes Library - Monday, April 17, 10:30am
- Bolinas Library - Wednesday, April 19, 11:00am
Learning Bus Día celebrations with activities, performances, play and books at these locations:
- Tomales - Friday, April 21, 12:30-2:15pm at Tomales Elementary
- Bolinas - Saturday, April 22, 2-4pm at Mesa Park
- Point Reyes - Saturday, April 29, 11am-3pm at Papermill Creek Children's Corner
Also see our Events calendar for ongoing Family Storytimes, Art with a Purpose Workshop for Kids and Families, Music & Movement Story Time with Colors of Spanish, Kids Club’s afternoons, and more!
Explore more booklists for MCFL Kids!
Día At-home Fun
- Write your own story, make it into a book and create a book cover (via ReadWriteThink website)
- Play Charades using book titles or familiar book characters
- Get your game on with brain teaser and puzzle sheets (via Reading Rockets and Colorín Colorado)
- Make an origami animal bookmark (via ItsAlwaysAutumn.com on Pinterest)
- Color up with free printable coloring sheets (via Homemade-gifts-made-easy.com)
The best part, for parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, babysitters, neighbors, and friends (anyone who cares!) is read with your child at least 20 minutes every day!