History of Fairfax Library: As the first branch of the Marin County Free Library, the Fairfax Library opened on June 6, 1927, on the second floor of the Alpine Building, also known as the Bierman-Healion Building, at 8 Bolinas Avenue, pictured here. In October 1950, the library moved to 55 Broadway, the former location of Peri's Bar. In 1964, the library moved to 47 Broadway. In June 1971, the branch moved again, this time to the Fair-Anselm Shopping Center. Since February 1978, the library has lived at 2097 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, the former site of Buon Gusto Villa, a long-standing restaurant and resort.