The Fairfax Library will reopen Thursday, May 25, 2023. The temporary schedule of new hours May 25-July 31, 2023 will be M-Th 12-8pm, Fri 12-5pm, Sat 10am-5pm.
Safety Improvements & Closure FAQs
The Fairfax Library will be closed May 15 through May 24, 2023, as part of a construction project to install new smoke detection and fire suppression systems.
The library will re-open May 25. Construction will continue from May 25 through the end of July, when the project is expected to be completed, with adjusted library hours to allow for facility work early in the day.
The temporary schedule of hours during this phase of work beginning May 25 and lasting until the end of July will be:
- Monday - Thursday, 12 - 8 pm
- Friday 12 - 5 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
The Fairfax Library will be closed May 15 through May 24, 2023.
The library will re-open May 25 with adjusted hours through the end of July to allow for completion of the project. The adjusted schedule of hours will be:
- Monday - Thursday, 12 - 8 pm
- Friday - 12 - 5 pm
- Saturday - 10 am - 5 pm
This project is an upgrade to life safety systems including smoke detection and fire suppression that will bring the facility up to code. The goal is to improve the systems to make the library safer for the public and staff. The project is being managed by the Marin County Department of Public Works (DPW). This spring, DPW crews have worked to install a potable water service line along Drake Boulevard as a prelude to the interior branch improvements.
The safety improvement project is estimated to cost $850,000 and is funded through the Marin County Free Library's Measure A, a parcel tax first approved by countywide voters in 2010.
- There will be no access to materials or services at the Fairfax Library during the closure.
- During the closure, the book return will be closed and the library will not be able to accept returns. No library staff will be on-site and there will be no phone service.
- The library will not be able to accept donations during the closure.
- Items checked out at the Fairfax Library will have due dates extended to May 31 to eliminate the need to return items during the closure.
- If you need to return items during the closure, or require other library service, please visit other Marin County Free Library branches or other Marin libraries.
- There will be no Fairfax Library programs during May 15 - May 24 (no storytimes or other events will take place). Please check our online calendar for events at other locations and online.
- Items requested for pick-up at Fairfax Library will be managed off-site during the closure. Library staff will contact you by email to find out your preference for requested items that become available during the closure. Option one is to have the item re-routed to another library for pick-up. Option two is to have the hold period extended to allow pick-up at the Fairfax Library when it re-opens.
- If you'd like to modify your pick-up locations before the closure, or pause your holds, please check with library staff for assistance.
- Please contact the library for any questions about the project at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions about library services during the closure, or need assistance, please contact any of our other branches by phone during open hours, or contact us online.
Upcoming In-Person Events
Marin Master Gardener: How to Create a Fire-smart LandscapeJun 6th | 2:00pm - 3:30pm
Wednesday Kids' ClubJun 7th | 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Recorridos Guiados en la Biblioteca FairfaxJun 7th | 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Upcoming Online Events
ESL Classes OnlineJun 5th | 9:45am - 11:45amOnline Event
ESL Classes OnlineJun 6th | 11:00am - 12:00pmOnline Event
ESL Classes OnlineJun 7th | 2:00pm - 4:00pmOnline Event
Holidays and Closures
Juneteenth National Independence DayMonday, June 19, 2023Closed All Day
Independence DayTuesday, July 4, 2023Closed All Day
Labor DayMonday, September 4, 2023Closed All Day
Veterans DayFriday, November 10, 2023Closed All Day
ThanksgivingThursday, November 23, 2023 - Friday, November 24, 2023Closed All Day
Christmas DayMonday, December 25, 2023Closed All Day
New Year's DayMonday, January 1, 2024Closed All Day
- Book Drop - Open All Hours
- Chromebooks & Hotspots
- Computer Appointments
- Gallery Space
- Seed Library
New at Fairfax
Get a Library Card
Get access to all of the great resources that the library has to offer!