IMPORTANT NOTE: Information on this page may be out-of-date.
For updated information on services available at this time, please see Service Updates FAQs.
- Welcome to the Civic Center Library, located on the 4th floor of the Marin County Civic Center Administration Building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Home to the Anne T. Kent California Room collection of local history resources.
- Permanent collection of books, DVDs and videos about Frank Lloyd Wright and his architectural projects.
- Spanish language materials for children, teens and adults. Russian language materials for adults.
- Test proctoring of open book exams is available at this branch. Get more details.
- Household batteries can be recycled at the Civic Center Library.
Computers & Wi-Fi
- Computer reservations are recommended. Reservations can be made online, opens a new window or at the branch.
- 14 public computers for adults & teens
- 2 public computers for children
- 1 ADA workstation
- Free wi-fi access is available throughout the branch.
Print, Copy, Scan, Fax
- B&W & color printers
- 2 copy machines (B&W only)
- Scanner – print, fax, email or save documents to USB
- To print to this location from your computer or mobile device, visit our MobilePrint page.
Digital Reader/Printer & Flatbed Scanner
- 3 digital scanners for scanning microfilm or microfiche
- Scanned images may be saved to a flash drive as a pdf or as a graphic file (e.g. jpg)
- Images may also be printed or emailed.
- For instruction on the use of this equipment, please call the Information Desk at 415.473.6058 for an appointment.
Computer & eBook Help by Appointment
- One-to-one computer tutoring sessions available by appointment:
Internet, Email Basics, Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel Basics.
Please sign up in advance by calling 415-473-4049.
- eBook training by appointment
Learn how to download free eBooks from the library. Bring your own device for one-to-one assistance. To make an appointment for a free session, please call 415-473-4049.
Open Book Exam Proctoring at the Civic Center Library
- The Civic Center Library is the only branch of the Marin County Free Library that offers test proctoring.
- Test proctoring is available for open book exams only.
- You must set up an appointment in advance by calling the Reference Desk at 415-473-6058.
- The fee for proctoring an exam is $25.
- On the day of the test, you must bring:
- photo ID
- $25 in cash or check to Marin County Free Library
- any required test-taking materials
Proctoring at Other Locations
The Marin County Law Library in San Rafael will proctor open and closed book exams. To request a proctor, please click here, opens a new window to fill out their contact form. Please allow 24 hours for response. For their proctoring fee and other information, contact the Law Library at (415) 472-3733.
Santa Rosa Junior College Student Success and Assessment Services Testing Centers in Santa Rosa and Petaluma are available to proctor paper and computerized exams for students enrolled in Independent Study, Online, Correspondence or Distance Education Programs for educational institutions or businesses. Please click here, opens a new window for testing information that includes testing dates, locations and financial information. To make an appointment contact (707) 527-4661.
- Handicapped parking spaces
- Accessible restrooms
- Accessible self-check machine and book return
- ADA workstation
Donating Books & Materials
- We accept small quantities of donations at the branch (due to limited storage space).
- Larger donations can be taken to the bookstore run by the Friends – Book Place.
- Books should be in good condition. We also accept DVDs, videos, CDs and magazines.
- We do not accept textbooks. (The Friends do not accept textbooks or magazines).
- Donated items are usually sold at the branch or at the Friends bookstore.