While Tuesday, April 18, 2023, is the official tax filing deadline, the IRS is offering an extension until Monday, October 16, 2023, opens a new window, to residents in several California counties including Marin that experienced flooding and extreme weather events during the recent winter storms.
The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. Therefore, taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief.
This includes 2022 individual income tax returns due on April 18, as well as various 2022 business returns normally due on March 15 and April 18. Among other things, this means that eligible taxpayers will have until May 15 to make 2022 contributions to their IRAs and health savings accounts. The May 15, 2023, deadline also applies to the quarterly estimated tax payments, normally due on January 17, 2023, and April 18, 2023.
The Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses page has details on other returns, payments and tax-related actions qualifying for the additional time.
The same extension of deadlines, opens a new window (due to winter storms) - to Monday, October16, 2023 - applies for filing and payments for individuals and businesses in California.
This relief applies to deadlines falling on or after January 8, 2023, and before May 15, 2023, including the 2022 individual income tax returns due on April 18 and the quarterly estimated tax payments, typically due on January 17, 2023 and April 18, 2023.
Please consult California's Franchise Tax Board, opens a new window for up-to-date details.
Forms & Booklets
We will have 1040 and 1040SR forms & booklets in English and Spanish at the ten Marin County Free Libraries when they become available and while supplies last.
IRS forms 1096 and 1099-MISC will become available; they - and any other tax forms - can also be requested directly from the IRS:
- To order official IRS information returns, which include a scannable Form 1096 or a scannable Copy A 1099-MISC for filing with the IRS, visit www.IRS.gov/orderforms, opens a new window.
- Click on Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns, opens a new window, and they will mail you the forms you request and their instructions. (Note that the official printed version of each of these IRS forms appears in red and is scannable, but a copy, printed from the IRS website, is not.)
- Or call 800-829-3676 to place an order by phone.
For all other tax forms, you may print for free using our mobile printing instructions, or come into the branch and receive staff assistance with printing.
Federal Tax Forms and Publications From the IRS
Use the Internal Revenue Service website to find forms, instructions, links for e-filing, and general information about federal income tax returns.
Online: To view, download & print forms and publications see: https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
By Mail: To order forms and publications by mail, visit: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms-and-publications-by-us-mail
By Phone: Call 800-829-3676 to place an order by phone.
Hearing impaired TTY/TDD: 1-800-829-4059
California Tax Forms from the State Franchise Tax Board
For state of California tax products and information, see the California State Franchise Tax Board website.
Online: To view, download & print forms: www.ftb.ca.gov/forms
By Phone: Call 1-800-338-0505. To have forms and publications mailed directly to your home you will need to know the order code number. Codes can be found here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/get-by-phone.html
Hearing impaired TTY/TDD: 1-800-822-6268
Out of State Tax Forms
El IRS en Español
Información general acerca de los impuestos de los Estados Unidos (General tax information in Spanish). http://www.irs.gov/Spanish
Tax Help Services
AARP Tax-Aides provide free income tax preparation and assistance during tax season for low and middle income taxpayers, with special attention to seniors.
Marin County's AARP Tax-Aide Services -- Open 2/1/2023 - 4/18/2023 -- Appointments required.
- Locations and days & times:
- Fairfax Library. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-578-0167. Hours: Mondays & Thursdays, 10 am - 2 pm (Closed Feb 20th for President's Day). [Forms and info available at: https://sites.google.com/view/fairfaxtax-aide/home, opens a new window]
- First Congregational Church (8 N San Pedro Rd, San Rafael). Contact: NGTaxAide@gmail.com or 415-448-6155. Hours: Tuesdays, 9:30 am - 2 pm. [Forms and info available at: https://sites.google.com/view/northgate-tax-aide/home, opens a new window]
- Mill Valley Community Center (180 Camino Alto). Contact: MillValleyTaxAide@gmail.com or 415-322-9361. Hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 8:30 am - 1 pm. [Forms and info available at: https://sites.google.com/view/millvalleytax-aide/home, opens a new window]
- North Marin Community Services (1907 Novato Blvd, Novato). Contact email@example.com or 415-488--5401. Hours: Mondays and Thursdays, 10 am - 2 pm [Closed Feb 20th for President's Day). [Forms and info available at: https://sites.google.com/view/novato-aarp-taxaide-at-nmcs/home, opens a new window]
- San Rafael Community Center (618 B St). Contact: SRCCTaxAide@gmail.com or 415-295-6624. Hours: Mondays & Fridays, 9:30 am - 2 pm (Closed Feb 10, Feb 20 & Mar 31). [Forms and info available at: https://sites.google.com/view/san-rafael-tax-aide/home, opens a new window]
- By appointment only. Contact preferred site for appointment. Email is preferred; if calling, leave full name and contact info.
- What to bring: copy of 2021 Tax Return; Photo ID plus Social Security cards or ITINs for self, spouse, and dependents; Social Security numbers for child care providers and alimony recipients; all W-2 and 1099 and 1095 and 1098 Forms; checkbook or bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit; to itemize, bring list of paid property taxes, mortgage interest, medical bills total, and charitable contributions total.
- Download PDF
Earn It! Keep It! Save It! (EKS) (English and Spanish) is a coalition of organizations that provide free tax help throughout the Bay Area. Tax returns are prepared by trained and IRS-certified volunteers.
- Canal Alliance (91 Larkspur St, San Rafael). Walk-in, no appointment needed. Contact 415-404-6485. Hours: Saturdays 10am - 4pm, from 2/4/2023 to 4/15/2023.
- Community Action Marin (555 Northgate Dr, San Rafael). Walk-in, no appointment needed. Hours: Fridays 9am - 3pm, from 2/3/2023 until 4/7/2023.
Last updated April 7, 2023.